and Visual BASIC have different
goals. Visual BASIC is a general purpose language that includes access to
various elements of Microsoft Windows and its application programs.
is a small language aimed at controlling
hardware with some communication abilities with host systems.
Wherever practical ARMbasic
is a proper subset of Visual
BASIC. Some elements of earlier BASICs do not apply to Visual BASIC, but
still do in ARMbasic. These elements include keywords such as RUN and
- Visual BASIC has a rich set of data types as well as object oriented
- In ARMbasic the default data type is 32 bits (SIGNED INTEGER), and also supports arrays of SIGNED
INTEGERS and STRINGs of bytes terminated by 0. and 32 bit IEEE 754
floating point numbers.
- FOR..NEXT is ambiguous for negative STEP. To clarify negative steps use
- One goal of ARMbasic is to be a simple, easy to use language, but still be
a powerful tool for controlling hardware. For this reason a simple
subset of BASIC has been chosen, with extensions for hardware control.
- Only single dimension arrays are supported.
- This is a very powerful tool available to C programmers, but not available
in many BASICs
- The C-preprocessor (CPP) has been integrated into