ARMWeb Email Services

basically miscellaneous, if it doesn't fit another sub-forum enter it here, we might even promote it to its own sub-forum
milehiham

ARMWeb Email Services

Post by milehiham »

I am looking for a microcontroller with email services. Can someone confirm that the current ARMWeb email functions work as outlined in its documentation. ie Can I send an email message to xxxx@comcast.net? Or other isp email services? Thanks very much for the feedback.

basicchip

Re: ARMWeb Email Services

Post by basicchip »

Yes the ARMweb can send email to any account, under control of a BASIC program. We do limit the number of emails to one each 30 seconds, we don't want to be provided automated spammers.

milehiham

Post by milehiham »

3/16/13: I received my ARMweb yesterday. Still trying to get email services working. Get error message on no smtp server found. I saw in other posts that ARMweb uses port 25 and there is no need to use a different port. Here is a note from my isp Comcast: Nov 2012: From Comcast: To prevent spam and to ensure the security of our network and customers, Comcast no longer supports the use of port 25 for sending email. Is there any work around to this? Thanks for your help.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

We will look into it, our ISP still allows port 25 as most do.

milehiham

Post by milehiham »

Just wanted to see what you found when you looked into it. Any plans to work around blocked port 25? Thanks - That would make my unit useful for me.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

We took a quick shot at just re-defining the port we use. But our email server requires some changes to allow use port 587, and we could not figure out quickly what we needed to do to use that.

So here are your options-

Try out the untested firmware version (attached below) that just changes the email port used to 587. Eventually we will get this in as an option, but it is very low on the priority list.

Find an email server that you can use that allows port 25 (most do)

We'll setup an email account for you on our server for a one time fee (we were thinking of an annual one, but that's just too much administration)

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

We had some spare time, so Mike added support for port 587 and tested it with his local ISP
Attachments
web0766.hex
ARMweb with port 587 support for email
(327.55 KiB) Downloaded 855 times

milehiham

Post by milehiham »

Firmware update web0766.hex did the trick for me. Thank you very much!!!

Using the long form: mail ("wake up out there","someone@somewhere.com","my_user_name","my_password") I can now send myself an email in my Comcast email account (who is my ISP) and I can also send an email to my gmail account. So it is now successful for me. Thanks for working this issue for me.

The short form: mail ("operator intervention needed") does not work for me but I am okay with that.
From my Comcast account I received the following error message:
mail fail state 6 550 5.1.0 Authentication required (which does make sense to me).

From my Gmail account I received this error message:
mail fail state 6 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. lo3sm1791268pab.19 – gsmtp

Using the long form mail command set to my Gamail account I get the same message:
mail fail state 4 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. zv4sm1241774pbb.28 – gsmtp

But using the long form mail command with my current ISP (Comcast) I now have email services using port 587. Again thank you very much!!!

(web0765.hex did not get me running – but web0766.hex did)

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

My guess would be port 587 mail services would reject the short form message.

The short form message uses a quirk in the original mail servers, which allowed you to send an email to yourself without authentication.

Many mail servers still allow you to do this, but it is probably disabled on comcast.

That's why you use to get a lot of spam sent from your own email address to yourself.

I'll let someone correct me, but my reading of the intention of port 587 email is that it would not be forwarded to another mail server, so you probably can't use it to get to gmail via your comcast server.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

In case you don't have the firmware update utility (loadLPC.exe), that is posted here now as well
loadLPC.exe
(45.65 KiB) Downloaded 821 times
From the command line --

loadlpc 2138 web0766.hex com8