crimson editor version

basically miscellaneous, if it doesn't fit another sub-forum enter it here, we might even promote it to its own sub-forum
olzeke51

crimson editor version

Post by olzeke51 »

what version of crimson editor are you using

I just d/l SVN286M from SourceForge and it has rebooted my computer twice !!!

Thnx

basicchip

Re: crimson editor version

Post by basicchip »

I can't really recommend the Crimson Editor, I use it because I am use to it (version 3.70). It doesn't crash on me, but it does "vomit" settings, meaning on occasion when I load a file especially automatically from MakeItC, like show assembly listing, it brings in every file I've ever edited since the beginning of time (yes an exaggeration, but somewhat true).

Notepad++ is installed at a minimum level with the tools for people who don't have anything else. I've tried it, but am not quite ready to convert.

Editors are really a personal preference, some people like auto-completion, some people like vi (really) and everything in between. Don't even mention emacs and you will get flamed into oblivion. I switched from Brief to the Crimson Editor because they were quite similar and Brief started crashing and burning in XP too often for me.

If I were looking for something new (and I might be), I think I would give NetBeans a real try, as I have heard good things about it, and it has a wide community using it both for Java and C. It has a lot of project oriented features people seem to like.

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

Well, I downloaded NetBeans-C/C++ version and installed it. Got hung up on some of the settings
I just do casual/basic type of programming (DOS , a little of this/that) so I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the options and settings that are needed.
was having trouble answering some of the ?? about path names and programs to use see the picture

Wouldn't recommend for the casual / one-off programmer -- Notepad++ has been adequate.
Attachments
netbeans_config.GIF
netbeans_config.GIF (15.78 KiB) Viewed 11788 times

AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

If you haven't already, give JEdit a try. It's very clean, simple, and never seems to upchuck on me.

LLoyd

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

Thanks Lloyd for the tip

I d/l'd the crimson 3.70 (as the SVM latest caused issues with installation)
CE 3.70 so far (two files !) has worked.

I'll look at JEdit.

Gary / olzeke51