MikroElectronika TextToSpeech Click

Post details of your projects here.
TodWulff

MikroElectronika TextToSpeech Click

Post by TodWulff »

Good day.

I've ported the MikroElectronika C libraries to ARMbasic which enable a user to modify same and make their ARMbasic target work with a MIKROE TTS Click module. I got mine from Arrow. Mouser has them as well as other distributors too, I'm sure.

I've attached the code herein, in the event that someone else wishes to make use of the TTS module with an ARMbasic target:
AB_TTS_Code _0179_2345.zip
(47.3 KiB) Downloaded 569 times
EDIT: Updated with AB_TTS_Code _0179_2345.zip - basic housekeeping & minor bug fix (I think - 1756 was intermittently hanging at init)

EDIT: Coridium did a blog post on this, with more dialog and media...

At the time of this post, the library organically supports the SAMD21 devices, and the LPC1756 SuperPRO series. If one is interested in expanding the library to support other ARMbasic boards, the IOs will need to be detailed, and the timer routines will need to be made to work with whichever controller one chooses to employ. Other than that, it should be pretty easy to make use of the module with other Coridium boards, or third-party boards that have Coridium ARMbasic FW thereon.

I have had it running on a uChip, a Protoneer Nano-ARM, a RobotDyn SAMD21 M0 (Nano FF) board, and the Coridium SuperPRO Rev 7. If you can tolerate endless rambling, and the occasional cough, sniffle, and yawn, I made a video that demonstrates it in use on all four of these microcontrollers.

EDIT, as a TL-DW: Here are a couple different (shorter) videos that are pretty benign but do show it in use a bit: here and here

EDIT: Here is a link to the Epson page that has a good amount of tools and info for the S1V30120 - the module's TTS ASIC.

In addition to the obvious neatness/geek factor of using this in a fun/hobby project (i.e. talking doorbell (think facial detection and visitor announcement (cite projects using the ESP32-CAM module)), it's elementary for one to extrapolate how this could be employed in custom assistive technologies, making use of such a TTS module to ease the burdens experienced by people struggling with temporary or permanent disabilities (partial/complete blindness, throat surgery, etc.) such as sight or speech impairments. I can also envision mobility solutions that are modified to help with obstacle/'pitfall' avoidance (i.e. driving over the edge of a curb, attempting to drive down a flight of stairs, etc.) - targets with good code and sensors, could make use of the TTS module to provide aural feedback to those that might benefit from same. One is only limited by one's imagination now-a-days...

Take care and have a great summer!

-t
Last edited by TodWulff on Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.

TodWulff

Re: MikroElectronika TextToSpeech Click

Post by TodWulff »

As info, for the implementation that I conjured up, to use the µChip with the TTS module, required the jumpering of the smd pads to enable pin 15 of the device to output 3.3VDC from the power supply sections of the µChip:

TodWulff

Post by TodWulff »

Here is the pinout of the hardware that was used when the code in the first post was dev'd.

TodWulff

Post by TodWulff »

As info, I figured out what the heck I was doing wrong when I push up the original 45min video. I have it reuploaded, orig post edited with the new link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-yTi5wd9T0