79000 LED Controller Board

Post details of your projects here.
JamesJackson

79000 LED Controller Board

Post by JamesJackson »

Just a note to update my ogress on my new 79000 PCB. I am using an LPC1114 Coridium BASIC chip. I have utilized almost all of the I/Os on the chip.

I am using 4 of the Analog Inputs -
1) Current Input (ACS711)
2) Temp Input (MCP9700)
3) Battery Voltage Monitor (0V - 24V)
4) Regulator Voltage Monitor (3.30V)

One of the Inputs is being used for Infrared Input and I use a remote control to send commands to the board.

I am using the I2C for an LCD Display (NHD-C0220BIZ-FS(RGB)-FBW-3VM) - I actually got this to work! WooHoo!

I have a piezo buzzer and am able to play a tune on it (next revision, I will be adding an LM386 to increase the sound level).

I am using 6 I/Os for LED outputs (not tested yet).

I also have the RS-232 wired to an output connector where I attach an FTDI USB to Serial (5V) adapter. I use this to program the Coridium chip (It works great!).

I have also added a 5V-to-9V DC/DC adapter which allows me to not only program the chip, but to run the board from my laptop USB port.

So far, it is working very well. I am learning a lot along the way.

The goal is to get this working and to replace my previous generation controller which is using a BASIC Stamp BS-2.

I am going to attach a series of up to 6 LED Rulers to the controller board, and it will fit into an 8x10 picture frame - and produce up to about 3000 Lumens of LED light - powered by a 12V (or 24V) SLA battery - which gets recharged by solar panels every day.

Initially, I was having issues with the I2C LCD display, but finally got over that hump, and am now moving on the other areas of the program.

My program is using about 8k of code space - and I am okay with that.

I hope I haven't violated any posting guidelines.

I really like this Coridium BASIC processor. It's really fast!

Regards,

James Jackson
Oztronics

TodWulff

Re: 79000 LED Controller Board

Post by TodWulff »

Sir James,

If you're around and kicking, would it be possible for you to dig up and post your i2c ARMbasic code herein, please?

Thank you, in advance. Much appreciated.

-t

JamesJackson

Post by JamesJackson »

Hey there! Sure, I can upload the program. I have gotten it to a point where it works well, but have put it on the shelf, looking at another processor to use since the processor used in the 79000 is being retired from support.

I would like to continue using Coridium BASIC chips, but... well... the cost has me stymied. I would LOVE to use the SMT version of this chip, but feel there are many hoops to jump through to get there.

I have also attached a 3-D view of the PCB I created. It worked the first spin. I could sit in my recliner and program it through my USB port.

I also built up a 6 LED PCB that plugged into the 6 LED headers on the main PCB to test the LED I/O.
Attachments
79000_Rev_A.bas
(41.53 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
3D_TopSide.jpg
3D_TopSide.jpg (269.11 KiB) Viewed 9517 times

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

Hi James, thanks for posting.

NXP discontinued the LPC1114 in DIP28 format, but as you know it is available in TSSOP-28. We have not seen enough demand to build a board around it, having switched to the LPC11U37 as our entry level product the ARMstamphttps://www.coridium.us/coridium/shop/boards/bd05-stamp

If you want to keep using the LPC1114, and build a board using the TSSOP-28 or other package, and still use BASIC, here is the BASIC firmware file, which you can load using BASICtools, by copying the file into the same directory as BASICtools.exe and doing an install firmware after startup.
LPC1114_840.hex
(40.06 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Keep us in the loop on your projects. Note that we also publish BASIC for Arduino Zeros and other popular boards.

TodWulff

Post by TodWulff »

James, Thank you, kind sir. It is most appreciated!

Timing is everything and we're seemingly firing on TDC.

I'm knee deep in a design/engineering/prototype endeavor for a project that I'll eventually release to the masses.

While the 11U37 ARMstamp has a ton of IO for a package as small as it is, I am becoming IO constrained. Being able to free up the IO currently used by the parallel dev display, in favor of the i2c display(s) will be a huge help.

In case you missed it, Coridium made a recent blog entry about a new board they just spun up (being stuffed this week, I understand), in which the LPC812 will be a serial/i2c/spi/... driver for a 44780 compatible display, akin to the i2c backpacks on the character displays commonly available today. With our being able to write custom firmware for it, it will certainly add a level of sophistication to a project that employs it. For example, in my use case, it will allow me to offload some of the display processing the 11U37 is currently handling. I can just pump data to it and let it massage the IO for the the glass, and free up 11U37 cycles for other important stuff. Having an intelligent display driver that we can modify the firmware for is an exciting thing for me. Ok, I'm droning on...

Your time and effort in making the i2c LCD code available will certainly help in this endeavor. Again, Thank You.

Take care and have a wicked good day, sir.

-t

TodWulff

Post by TodWulff »

JamesJackson wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:54 pm
... I would LOVE to use the SMT version of this chip, but feel there are many hoops to jump through to get there....
Could one not just whip up a chip carrier/adapter board that takes the TSSOP-28 package and adapts it to a 28pin dip? That way your existing designs could still be employed with little to no changes thereto? Just a quick thought as, admittedly, this is an off-the-cuff concept and one would need to grind through as see if they pinned out all of the IO that was on the dip in the TSSOP-28 package. I suspect that they are the same, or nearly so.

JamesJackson

Post by JamesJackson »

I guess I don't see how my I2C code will help you.

RE: using the TSSOP-28 chip
Well, that was/is my first goto. Digikey sells them, and it makes perfect sense to just design my board to use one.

The problem - as I see it (unless things have changed in the 5 or 6 years I last looked at it), is that Coridium does not support their BASIC in the SMT variety of the chips. When I order the parts from Digikey (or whomever) it comes blank - with no BASIC installed. I would need to 'burn' in the BASIC. Which means I need to spend $500 to get permission to use the source - or some such.

Like I said, it's been a while since I looked in to this, and things may have changed in the years.

My interest is in whether Coridium is going to create a BASIC for the Raspberry Pico-Pi.

P.S. I'm currently using the PICAXE series of chips. They seem to fit the bill, and are cheap.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

Hi James-

I published the firmware for the LPC1114 above, it does not matter which package it is in.

Just copy that firmware .hex file into the same directory as BASICtools. BASICtools looks for them to install on a blank NXP device as long as you connect serial data lines, reset and boot pin.

Yes theoretically if you use this in a commercial project, I would like to collect some sort of license fee. That will be true also for the RPico, when we publish that.

If you are talking a handful of device, just go and use it. I might want to get you to send some data on what this is, and I'll publish a blog entry on it, and will link to your site.

That $500 license fee is aimed at 100 copies for a commercial product. We do NOT consider using BASIC in your company on a lab bench as a commercial use requiring a license.

Bruce Eisenhard
Coridium Corp

JamesJackson

Post by JamesJackson »

RE: I published the firmware for the LPC1114 above, it does not matter which package it is in.
I must be dumber than a board. I searched your forums, your website... I guess I don't know how to find things anymore.
I can't find the firmware.

RE: Just copy that firmware .hex file into the same directory as BASICtools. BASICtools looks for them to install on a blank NXP device as long as you connect serial data lines, reset and boot pin.
I guess that's the secret sauce.

RE: Yes theoretically if you use this in a commercial project,
...and that's where I stopped before. 'Theoretically' my project could become a product that I sell. I guess it depends on your definition of 'commercially'. That's why I walked away from using Coridium - even though I invested a lot of time and resources in learning it and using it. I like it a lot, but don't want to get in a pi**ing match over semantics and definitions of 'commercial'.

One thing that I learned is that the PICAXE has a built-in IR decoder that works awesome with no coding, unlike the Coridium that took me a bit of coding to decipher the IR stream coming in. I kinda got spoiled on the PICAXE way of doing things. I believe the PICAXE uses the SONY protocol, which is what I was using in my project.

As for Coridium, I was hoping (initially) to use the 28-pin TSSOP or the 20-pin TSSOP part, as that trims down the size of the PCB quite a bit, from using the 28-pin DIP part. I had already figured out how to add the circuitry to allow me to just use a USB cable and hook it up to my PCB and program - and debug - while I sat in my recliner with my laptop... or at my local coffee shop at the counter. I would take my PCB, and 9-volt battery in a fake book and write code and program while drinking coffee. Lots of fun.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

That file was a couple posts before in this thread. Looks like you bought a version from the store too

But here is that link again

download/file.php?id=521&sid=9cc5dd072a ... dccef8a8e9