4 Channel Timer/Counter

Post details of your projects here.
danlee58

4 Channel Timer/Counter

Post by danlee58 »

I need a 4 Channel Count Down Timer to generate 4 ea. 5 millisecond pulses. The count will start on a transition on one of the 4 channels, at which time one pair of 5 Volt outputs will be set. The outputs will be cleared at the end of the count. This process is repeated for each of the 4 channels, with the same duration for each.

This will require 4 separate timers. Other requirements are 4 Input channels & 8 5 Volt Output channels, & 1 12 Volt Output channel, also operation from 5.0 Volts.

What board should I use?

olzeke51

Re: 4 Channel Timer/Counter

Post by olzeke51 »

both the SuperPro and the DataLogger have 4 timers. In some of my reading (??'lpc1768) the pwm
block all use the same time base- which may/not apply to you. You are using a constant 5 millisecond pulse.
the DataLogger is faster so you could do more stuff in between your 'events' [I do more response action to
a keyboard/toggle event so have never dwelt with critical timing measurements]
HTH - Gary

danlee58

Post by danlee58 »

How about the Pro Plus. I am familiar with the SuperPro, and have code that I can use for this application. I need a lot of I/O & 4 timers. Does the ProPlus have the same number of timers as the SuperPro?

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

The PROplus or SuperPRO should work. They can be powered from 5V, but almost all micros these days actually run at 3.3V with TTL compatible IOs.

Both those can generate 3 of PWMs from the TIMERs and there is also a PWM block that can generate 6 PWMs if they have the same cycle time, and also the motor controller can generate 2 PWMs

So maybe 11 PWMs are possible (I know I have generated 4 completely independent ones using the TIMER and PWM blocks).

danlee58

Post by danlee58 »

I need a Proto Shield board compatible with the Coridium Pro Plus or SuperPro. Spark Fun offers a ProtoShield kit. Is that kit compatible with the Coridium boards?

Can you recommend a ProtoShield board?

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

I looked at SparkFun's DEV-07914-- it will do the 'arduino pins layout okay' but I don't think it wiil work for the other pins
on the Coridiums boards. For the Coridium DataLogger I took the pin connectors from a generic (Adafruit OR Seeedstudio) kit
and a perfboard from RadioShack and made my own shield. I think Adafruit has/had a kit that had an 'offset bent connector' kit
I've used it a couple of times [whereever I got it]- for that non-standard Arduino 'data' connector.
'
Coridium was kind enough to put the Arduino pins on standard spacing (along side the non-standard Arduino 'data' connectors).
I do believe the internal signal pins are all on standard spacing for perfboard -
'
Short answer - ONLY if you want to use ARDUINO only pins - otherwise NO
Gary Olzeke51

danlee58

Post by danlee58 »

I think that I'll go with an Adafruit proto board. They have a space for a 20 pin through-hole DIP, and also a SOIC package. I'd like to see more pins available for through-hole DIPs. Coridium ought to consider offering a Proto Board compatible with their Pro Plus & Super Pro. If it was one row wider on each side, you could have breakout pins for more I/O.

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

1 hole wider -- then it wouldn't be 'Arduino compatible '!!!
Hey, an arduino mega shield might be the way to go -- it is longer but also has the original Arduino layout !!
Gary

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

I have used both off the shelf and custom boards to connect to other chips.

One project involved a programmable delay line, it came in an SO footprint. I ran down to the local Fry's and picked up a shield that had footprints compatible with what I needed, just a couple of wires to add.

Have also used plain old 0.1" perfboard to wire up stuff.

If I plan on building more than 1, I just do a quick layout and have a custom PCB made.

I'm not sure there is a standard shield we could turn into a project. But then, custom design is our business, so if you need more than a few we could do the design

danlee58

Post by danlee58 »

I use PCB123 for my PCB layout & schematic capture. I did a custom Arduino board from Sunstone Circuits for a recent project. My hand wired board works fine, but the PCB has a noise problem. It's probably ground runs, but I haven't debugged it. I purchased 10 boards, but only built up one. I could layout a custom Arduino board, with 0.300" DIP spacing, but I couldn't sell the extras for what they cost.