Tools & VCS

Post details of your projects here.
olzeke51

Tools & VCS

Post by olzeke51 »

I searched the forum for 'vcs' and 'version control' and found no good results.
'
Do you have a recommendation for a VCS (version control system)? perhaps what you use in-house?
My updates/modified files are a little confusing - bad habits from wayback!!
'
Do you have an in-house software standard (template) that I could use??
'
Any other tool suggestions?? a 'lint' for C ? your ARMbasic does a pretty good job of flagging errors,
though the source can be a little hard to find.
'
do you use TCL to 'import C files' and convert the 'comment tags - \\ ,\* ' to say your Basic ' character?
[I want to take some 'C headers and such' (hardware drivers) and convert to ARMbasic without having
to do all the typing] - I guess Notepad++ can do that - find and replace;now that I think about it
'
This going from hobby 'engineering' to a semi-professional engineering is an eye-opener!!
'
Thank you for any suggestions you can provide to me and the your forum community.
Gary Olzeke51

AMDlloydsp

Re: Tools & VCS

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Gary,
I'll only address the VCS question.

I used to use commercial version-control, dating all the way back to the original Borland C package, and it's primitive (but usable) VCS.

I find now that my versions are just as well dealt with simply by saving EVERY change as a new, sequentially-numbered (yes, named, too) file.
I don't make many changes in field code, only while debugging. So, although saving every change as a new file can result in a large surfeit of almost-identical files, after debugging is fairly sure, it's easy enough to delete the older, no-longer useful ones.

Lloyd

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

I've used numerous SVCS systems over the years, they are required for larger multi-person projects. From time to time I have thought of setting up one for Coridium BASIC. But as we port to more and more platforms the code has actually gotten better organized as we try to limit chip specific code to certain modules. And have also isolated some modules into specific directories where one person is pretty much responsible for it, like USB or Ethernet.

These days GitHub seems quite popular. When I was traveling more for consulting just keeping an up to date copy between systems at home and on the road was a problem. Then I was using DropBox for that. Not so much now except for documentation.

Yes it would be possible to write a script for a stream editor like sed to convert C header files into BASIC ones, we don't do it often enough to spend the time. So we typically just do it by hand in a text editor.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

I've used numerous SVCS systems over the years, they are required for larger multi-person projects. From time to time I have thought of setting up one for Coridium BASIC. But as we port to more and more platforms the code has actually gotten better organized as we try to limit chip specific code to certain modules. And have also isolated some modules into specific directories where one person is pretty much responsible for it, like USB or Ethernet.

These days GitHub seems quite popular. When I was traveling more for consulting just keeping an up to date copy between systems at home and on the road was a problem. Then I was using DropBox for that. Not so much now except for documentation.

Yes it would be possible to write a script for a stream editor like sed to convert C header files into BASIC ones, we don't do it often enough to spend the time. So we typically just do it by hand in a text editor.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

PS, I also keep checkpoint copies of the full set of sources of software. I don't do it each day or each change, but when a new part gets added or new feature to the compiler I save everything. More than once I have had to go back to earlier versions for something that got accidentally deleted.