RS232 failure to communicate

Questions on UARTs, and serial communication
basicchip

Re: RS232 failure to communicate

Post by basicchip »

Is your E drive a network drive?

Tcl has trouble with network drives, maybe I need to figure out a way to detect that and flag it.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

Just for grins I copied the BASICtools to a network drive on a Win7 system

and that works for me, though I remember seeing issues before, it may be limited to XP setups. I've never had any issues on USB drives.

Where is your %temp% directory?

So its back to checking your serial connections. What did @0 return?

vincent1971

Post by vincent1971 »

Yes I can also it. I don't know which kind of FTDI I have. So do you have any ideas? I am run out of it!

vincent1971

Post by vincent1971 »

the drive I am using is not a network drive. It's a partition on my ssd samsung.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

That

*** Uart chipkit 19200 baud
*** Serial to Usb

Is being inserted by whatever driver/software you have controlling the ChipKit USB link

So you're going to have to disable that driver/software to have it run with our code. We don't really expect extraneous stuff to be inserted while we are using the USB Virtual Com Port.

You can run \Program Files (x86)\Coridium\Windows Drivers\CDM20824_Setup.exe

But this may disrupt other software you have that expects that stuff. Looks like a driver conflict to me.

vincent1971

Post by vincent1971 »

Yes I see the correct result. But if I am typing the run command or pressing the run button it failed. Do you have any kind of idea now?

vincent1971

Post by vincent1971 »

I am getting a new error message! And I don't want to PAY for a @&*(*($*&^$(* firmware update. Free sample ok but this....

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

If you are still seeing

*** Uart chipkit 19200 baud
*** Serial to Usb

Then the driver for the cable is still inserting characters into the communication between the PC and the BASICchip, and that is confusing our software.

So I'll have to conclude that the ChipKit USB converter is NOT compatible with our software.

We have tested it successfully on

Coridium USB dongle
Sparkfun USB breakout boards
FTDI USB serial cables
PICaxe cables with inversion (either hardware or software for the USB version)

Other than that until we receive one we can't guarantee it works.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

I know you're unhappy with the BASICchip setup, but I'm still trying to figure out what your actual serial connection was.

You say a ChipKit MAX, which I assume means an Arduino like board (chipKIT Max32), but if you are trying to share the serial port with the connection to the PIC there are going to be obvious conflicts between the 2 processors talking.

I had assumed you were talking about a ChipKit PGM board, which I picked up one as I was ordering some other stuff from Digilent. But that board looks to be just a JTAG programmer which would not be compatible either.

So can you give a link or picture as to what you USB serial connection to the BASICchip is?

FTDI cables can be picked up on ebay for around $5. The Nokia download cables would also work, but with the hand wiring and disassembly, it seems like a lot of work to save a couple bucks.