Re: preliminary Linux support

Questions about the BASICtools and MakeItC
olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

in regards to one of my first posts - when starting the script or 'wish' from the CL, this would pop up
'
olzeke51@q4compaq:~$ BASICtools
olzeke51@q4compaq:~$ application-specific initialization failed: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"
Error in startup script: can't invoke "winfo" command: application has been destroyed
'
it turns out that the Xserver wasn't getting the color codes for its different elements.
'
with info from this trouble ticket" https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-desktop/issues/134
'
I copied the below settings into a text file
Xdefaults-new-tcl.txt
no settings verified!! but it works
(6.44 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
then I used this command from my home directory
olzeke51@q4compaq:~/Coridium$ xrdb -load ~/Documents/Xdefaults-new-tcl
'
now I no longer get my 'BACKGROUND' error message
and the Window looks usable [in Q4os]
'****this has to be done everytime you reboot/login !!!! -- will work on scripting it

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

I know very little about Linux internals.

Someone once told me that you could compile a C program on Linux to run in both environments, and I believe the make file for bpp does that.

But like I say I really don't know how that works and need help from the users.

If it really is a 32 vs 64 bit thing, you should be able to make bpp on your system.

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

I too know very little of internals - but I'm learning.
32bit can be run on 32 or 64bit linux, but 64 needs a 64 environment -- per the Internet
okay - gary

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

In Q4OS how do I tell if it is 32 or 64 bit that I loaded, can't remember and tossed the CD after the load.

I don't know when the last 32 bit machines were built, probably over 10 years ago, I have an ancient Toshiba laptop (maybe 20 years old, I'll see if it still boots). Might be worth picking up something newer on eBay

After you make bpp, post it here

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

okay - for a proof of concept - I took the bpp and ARMbasic [both 32bit] from the 'Linux work in Progress' link on the Tech Support page
and moved them to the /usr/local/bin/Coridium/ location.
'
It ran without errors - BUT there were other 'funnies' in the DEMO mode.
'
the linux command ' uname -a' will give a clue if it mentions i686 etc -->32 bit
if there is a 'x86-64' then .....
in answer to your question - Q4os comes in both 64 & 32 bit versions.
Yes, I have old computer resurrected-throw-aways - guess I ought to move into the 20-teens!!!
'
STILL not sure how I would build 'bpp'.
BTW - I put the original ARMbasic back in the soup and noticed no difference. DEMO mode though, same 'funnies'
Is ARMbasic used in DEMO mode? it doesn't appear to be.....
'
onward - the journey calls
Gary
UPDATE
okay - put the older ARMbasic back in the soup and got BLINKY to work !! with a real 1114
now I need to work on the 'default editor' - another step in the journey/challenge
Good Day y'all

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

To build bpp, you do a make, which is pretty standard for building anything Linux

ARMbasic is used in demo mode as both compiler and emulator.

I compiled them on a 64 bit system, but set no specific settings, so they were compiled with whatever Ubuntu uses for default.

nik282000

Post by nik282000 »

I have a couple of the new 11u37 stamps and just wanted to chime in.

The BASICtools from the original post work for me on Debian 9 (Stretch) 64bit, I had to change the path to my home folder in the .ini file as some one else mentioned here and install "wish" but those aren't major issues. My only trouble seems to when when I want to include a library, bcc doesn't find the .bas file even though the path is correct in the command. Including the full path to the library in the #include statement solves the issue.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll dust of a linux system and see if I can see why...

I have a Ubuntu setup here, but I don't often use it.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

I had not updated the Linux stuff for quite some time. I am not Linux guy, and had not heard anyone really using it. I updated the release at the top of this topic and fixed some Linux things and updated the examples and libraries (page 1 of this string of posts)

As for the question about bpp it scans the directory containing the main BASIC source and the library directory. Other than that you would have to change the Tcl code. So far that seems to cover most people's needs, but an include path could be added like in MakeItC. But I am trying to keep the options to the minimum to keep things simple.

nik282000

Post by nik282000 »

Thanks for the update, I'll give it a stab! Can the new tools be installed over the old ones or do I need to reverse the old installation and replace it? No rush, I'll tinker in a VM and see what works. <-Strike that, I replaced the old Coridium folder with the new one, ran the installer and everything was brought up to date. Thanks again!