BT Requests

Questions about the BASICtools and MakeItC
TodWulff

BT Requests

Post by TodWulff »

Good day. As a respectful request, if y'all could consider the following, for eventual UI upgrades to BasicTools, when/if appropriate, it would be most helpful and appreciated:
  1. Add a reload button to the 'button bar'
  2. Add some control character handling for TCLTerm (iirc, that is the console code for BT.?.), to enable:
    • Clearing the screen programmatically via a print statement from the target
    • positioning the cursor at a given line and position via a print statement from the target
    • giving coders the ability to have different colored text, etc. on TCLTerm via a print statement from the target
There is a VT100 terminal app that is 100% TCL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/11545 That might make it less of a PITA to consider adding in this sort of terminal functionality. I get it that the devices are intended to be embedded and not typically used with a display, and that BT is a dev environment, not an app console. However, during embedded app dev, giving programmers the ability to have target programmatic control over the UI they use during program development/debugging would be pretty useful, I perceive.

I acknowledge that the tcl source is included for both BT and TCLTerm, and that I could go crafting my implementations in such a manner, as I've done in past eons. However, that would have to be revisited each time BT is upgraded. If it was incorporated at 'the factory', that would be less maintenance, and potentially useful to more folks than just myself.

Code: Select all

#define term_cls chr(foo) + chr(bar)
print term_cls
There, a small bit of mud has been slung at the wall, to see if any of it sticks. :)

L8R.

-t

basicchip

Re: BT Requests

Post by basicchip »

Always willing to listen.

Reload, remember my moto is KISS, because I am S. I especially don't like duplicate ways of doing the same thing, as that just clutters things up. Control-R does a reload now, and it is in the Pulldown menu.

I could add some of this stuff to a Tcl source file that could be changed by the user. That would keep it easy to maintain from our end (most likely an empty file) and the only one you need to change on updates from our side.

Clear screen and cursor position could be part of that file. This is something that PBASIC did way back when, but TclTk is pretty lame as a drawing tool, even though some big names use it as the GUI and do graphing, charts, all kinds of other stuff. I am not that big of a TclTk guy, and not sure beyond the simple stuff would be real useful. I would think maybe VB interface to a running ARM BASIC program would be a better way to go. I know the Linux guys are all groaning...

TodWulff

Re: BT Requests

Post by TodWulff »

I get it. S = stubborn. :)