BASICtools and Win 8

Questions about the BASICtools and MakeItC
w0ivj

BASICtools and Win 8

Post by w0ivj »

If you install BASICtools in program files (x86), which is the default, some of the library functions will not work due to path problems. In particular, <VBSTRING> contains the MID function. The program will compile correctly but will not run correctly. When you call the MID function, the MID function in <VBSTRING> is not accessed. I placed my own library file in <VBSTRING> and the program would not even compile because the compiler could not find the path. I reinstalled BASICtools in another directory and everything works as it should.

basicchip

Re: BASICtools and Win 8

Post by basicchip »

I'm away from my one Win8 machine right now, but which version of BASICtools are you using? Do the examples and libraries appear under the Tools or Help menu? They were moved to Tools at one users request (I'm still thinking about whether that is correct or not).

Anyway if you select the directory of the library under that menu, you can redirect BASICtools to look for library files elsewhere. To keep it KISS, I haven't setup a list of directory paths for includes like C, and so far don't intend to. Can you redirect with that menu to the proper place?

The installer copies versions of the libraries to 2 places (one is the original place under Program Files (x86)/Coridium/BASIClib and the other is in your user Documents area). The default location it looks is the user Documents area. However, if you updated the installation without removing the old one, it may point to the one in Program Files (x86). Win8 is annoying in that when you look for a program the Program Files (x86) directory is hidden. The copies in the user directory are the ones that should be used, as anything in the Program Files (x86) directory gets "protected" so you can't easily edit them. I kept a copy there for historical reasons, and also to keep a backup copy in case you need to return to earlier ones after edits.

w0ivj

Re: BASICtools and Win 8

Post by w0ivj »

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I am using v5.19 of Tools. The examples and libraries appeared under Coridium in Program Files(x86) when things were flaky. I reinstalled under My Programs instead of Program Files(x86) and everything is working fine now. I have had this issue with other applications using Win8. I created a directory for my stuff in the same directory as the examples and libraries. When I moved all of this out of Program Files(x86)/Coridium into My Programs/Coridium, everything works fine. I did not know about the Coridium folder under Documents but I just checked the MID correction that I made in the library and I did not fix it in the Documents folder. Since MID is working, I assume that the library under My Programs is being accessed and not the library in the documents folder. I am not a very good software guy, so I apologize if this not very helpful......Tom