JTAG/SW support

Questions about the BASICtools and MakeItC
basicchip

JTAG/SW support

Post by basicchip »

>from the help line
>Sirs: I have just ordered your Pro Start Board-since this is my first purchase. I also have just noticed that your Pro,Pro Plus
>and Super-Pro Boards have Debug capabilities via a Debug connector. I am thus curious as to how to Debug on the Pro start
>and also how do you debug on the three others. If there is a Email Link I will follow but your comments contrasting and elaborating about both types would be appreciated. Is >Single Step supported on any of the above?
>Thank you,

We have placed a standard SM 10 pin header on the PROstart board that is compatable with ULINK (probably others) JTAG/SW debuggers. On the PROplus/SuperPRO boards were designed before we were aware of that standard, but we do have artwork for a rev 8 board that has that.

Out BASIC and C IDEs do NOT support that feature. But as of about a year ago we discovered Keil can kind of debug code developed somehow else. Though you are stepping through at the assembly level and have no corresponding source listing. This is something it did not do a few years back. We have used when all else fails.

Our normal method is printf/PRINT, and use the builtin "monitor" which allows us to look at and alter any memory location (details in help files)

basicchip

Re: JTAG/SW support

Post by basicchip »

PS -- I see ULINK compatable devices on eBay for around $20

Don't even think about a Wiggler, it is a waste of time.

In BASIC, while we can single step, we enable code protection which disables JTAG access so it is not available there.