ArchProweb.bin comm error

Questions about the BASICtools and MakeItC
AMDlloydsp

Re: ArchProweb.bin comm error

Post by AMDlloydsp »

What are you running, Gary? Later versions of Windows don't pay as much attention to "real time" i/o. That's one reason real hard-head hardware guys are hanging on to machines that will run XP.

Lloyd

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

running XP with SP2 - my apps are pretty light
webmail for my personal account @ my ISP, gmail for my internet presence
No Office - I use AbiWord,and Wordpad; notepad++ for my Basic programmig
Paint for my graphics and screen capture - Chrome for my browser & streaming mp3 - magnatune
older windows media player for downloaded mp3 from magnatune.com (good stuff - ambient/electronic)
this will hog my memory if I leave it on - especially overnight !!!
I've got MalwareBytes turned off, java and Adobe - I turn them off sometimes (auto updates !!)
My swap file runs about 250M - fresh , media player and Chrome can run it upto 1.1G+ !!
'
only one USB on the front but there is a multimedia that takes up 4 drives per Windows.
USB mouse and keyboard - oh new wireless HP printer -- doesn't SEEM to get in the way - but????
'
Worked as a computer tech for many years so I try a lot of stuff - see what the limits are.
Don't care for the new windows 7 & 8 AT ALL ! Vista has been good on the LCD broken laptop with external screen !
'
Want to learn more of Linux -- I have loaded on its own partion with GRUB loader. I even ran it as my
main OS and had XP partion/harddrive in a VM that worked pretty good but that motherboard died.
Have had isssues with some websites on Linux browsers so have back-burner'd it.
'
the AchPro is a mbed-1768 clone with Arduino form-factor and some 'Grove' connectors.
SeeedStudio is my source -- RadioShack carries many of their Arduino Shields
Bruce has the real mbed1768 and also the ArchPro.
'
More than you wanted to know ??? - Gary

AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Nope, exactly what I wanted to know. I'm an old computer geek, too.

If I might suggest; try dropping the baud rate on your programming connection. (in the BASICTools menus). I have not tried it yet, but Bruce indicates that it's possible. I'm not sure what changes the baud rate of the UART0 programming port on the board, though, unless he's got some auto-baud code in the kernel.

I'm going through the design phases of setting up a machine-wide programming network for up to half-dozen SuperPros. This current machine has four, and I'm considering adding another to take the real-time load off one of them.

As you know, quality of cable, ambient electrical noise, ground potential differences, and signalling rate all can affect serial data transfers.

Lloyd

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

he bumped the baud upto 115k because the bin file is so large, plus
plus user files might be bigger - ya'know - fill up the flash - you've got all that space !!
'
I wonder -- if I could change the baud from the command line window?? it can be done
from the program --- and I thought I was done with this for a day or two .....!!
'
the strange part is - the rom/flash messages for the kernel info and who its registered to
got downloaded in the *.bin file, so it gets printed out on the terminal (BT window) without
any issues, after the 'reset' function. - - would imply that 115k baud works.
'
well - I've sent Bruce some more info on the side and he'll see if I uncovered anything.
'
your SuperPro task kind of reminds me of the $25 network for the 8086 PCs and their TSRs!!
used serial ports to share resources
GaryZ
'
Just tried it on a BasicChip and it didn't work from the "command line Window"
will try resetting BTools
'you also have to tell it to RUN (I did it from the command window) - duh !!
SO
BAUD(0)=9600<enter>
RUN<enter>
then change BT to 9600 ...and voila

AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Ok, thanks! Now I won't have to fiddle that out for myself.

Now, the million dollar question.... Did that solve your problem?

LLoyd

AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Yup, that did it.

I have to employ another step with my main-board (master) controller.
The Dongle has been modified for use as a fourth UART port, and employs a re-flash of the FTDI chip and "legacy" control signals to use BASICTools.

As a result, after having gone through all the setups to change the baud rate, I must then leave BASICTools, and re-start it in order to program the SuperPro.

If I try to program it without that extra step, BASICTools reports "No BASIC firmware" on the board... <?>

It worked fine, even at 115200.

Lloyd

olzeke51

Post by olzeke51 »

Nope, even at the lower baud the confirmation/ACK/crc or whatever it is
doesn't come back from the Pro
Watch the little * and + during the download of the program itself, I miss my second +
and then about 5 secs later get the 'lost comm' message
'
'
? No Basic firmware - whoa -- haven't seen that one
I have used an AdaFruit dongle - the Friends extra version with no issues.
'course I don't think I can do a 'C' download with it - haven't tried -- once you go 'C' you can't get back to
Basic AFAIK. there was mention of that in a forum thread from the Yahoo days.