ARMstamp communication problem on WinXP

Description of your first forum.
John C

ARMstamp communication problem on WinXP

Post by John C »

I'm unable to communicate with an ARMstamp on a WinXP SP2 system. Latest BASICtools 6.38/TclTerm 7.37/ARMbasic 9.60c installed without issue. Connecting the ARMstamp to USB shows up in Device Manager under 'Other devices' as 'VCOM', and is looking for a driver. Reading other posts in this forum suggests the 'mbed' driver should be the correct one to use for ARMstamp (at least for Win7), but selecting it from 'Options/Serial Port/install drivers', or launching it from the 'Windows_drivers' directory only results in error dialogs (i.e., 'mbed - The driver could not be installed'.)

Suggestions for next steps would be much appreciated...

basicchip

Re: ARMstamp communication problem on WinXP

Post by basicchip »

I will look into it. I may not have a working WinXP machine anymore. I believe their are threads in the forum about this, and will search a bit more.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

You might try this installer from NXP, not sure it will handle Win XP

https://www.coridium.us/coridium/files/ ... taller.exe

I'll see if I might have an XP machine buried somewhere, but most were converted to Linux

John C

Post by John C »

Thanks for your response. The NXP driver you posted appears to be a step in the right direction. It installed without error and after manually pointing to it, Device Manager was happy. Unfortunately, BASICtools is less so; after selecting 'Com3' (the new COM port now showing in BASICtools - note the mixed case), got an error dialog - 'serial error - Error sending to serial port'. I checked the NXP's driver Port Settings and found 9600 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control. Having recalled a forum post on the subject, I changed the bps to 115200 and rebooted. No change on launching BASICtools (it had remembered 'Com3' on launch); still getting the same 'serial error ...' dialog immediately. Attempting to Run a simple 'Print "xxx"' command throws a 'COM problem - Unable to communicate - Check connection, Check power ..., ...' dialog. The ARMstamp's LED is on and USB connection/disconnection seems normal.

Strange. Things appear to be good but they aren't. Thoughts?

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

Does Com3 show up in Device Manager as an NXP VCOM USB serial port?

I am trying to see if I can build a WinXP USB boot disk to run on one of my older systems. Not sure that will work, but worth a try.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

PS com setting like baud, stop bits ... are completely irrelevant on this USB driver.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

I had no luck trying to create a bootable USB drive for WinXP.

I do have one old SATA drive labeled XP, not sure the last time it was in a PC, and it won't fit in my current sacrificial PC, but I will try to clone it to a 2.5" drive. Will try this weekend, but not real hopeful.

The NXP driver for the LPC11U37 was written in 2015, after support for WinXP ended. So I don't know if they tested for it. Not sure we had ever tried it either.

The FTDI drivers did support WinXP, but they have been around for that long, but that won't help the LPC11U37 which needs the NXP LPC Vcom driver.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

Found a WinXP SP3 laptop from a friend. I tried lpc_driver_installer, it failed for me to install.

I doubt there is an NXP supported driver for VCOM and WinXP, so we can't help you there, but ARMstamps run on Win 7 and beyond, Linux, iOS, and Raspberry Pi.

basicchip

Post by basicchip »

OK let me take that back, lpc_driver_installer did not work, but pointing the Win driver installer to the lpcopen_example_windows_usb_drivers DID work

And I can talk to and load programs on the ARMstamp with that.

Will load up a blog article and link to those files. (too big to include here)